Sunday, February 05, 2006

Stupidbowl Sunday

As much as I try to pretend, I just can't seem to actually like football. Call me un-American, a nerd or whatever you want, but the truth is I just don't care. I guess it really hit home when my sister sent me a text message congratulating on the Redskins (my hometown team) making it into the playoffs. Apparently while the rest of the city was in redskins fever, I had no idea.

However, I have fortunately been blessed with the ability to BS my way through almost any situation, so for all of the people who asked me who I thought was gonna win the game, my answer of "It's a horrible matchup, your guess is as good as mine" was a classic conversation turn-around which put the question back in your court (hey, a sports metaphor, how 'bout that) so that you would end up telling me who was playing without letting myself look like less of a man for not knowing. Cool, huh?

But my lack of football affection aside, I do believe in making a big event of the American Superbowl tradition. Suddenly, I find myself attached to a particular team for no reason and start cheering for them like the rest of the lug-heads. I eagerly await the lineup of $3 million commercials, the junk food and the comradery that such an event brings with it. I am a believer in the bonding abilities of the American male - and nothing does this better than the Superbowl.

Let's go Lakers! Oh wait...

No comments: